"Rather than the child asking a question and the adult offering the answers, the search is undertaken together."
Teachers at Hopwood Child Care seek to inspire learning by encouraging creative exploration and collaboration between children in a welcoming, community-based school environment.
Our professionals understand that there is no “best practice” other than what emerges from the children. We honor all aspects of the developing child in our environments by utilizing positive teacher language, interactive modeling, academic choice, and community building activities. Teachers, children, and families have a voice in determining the path of learning.
· Explore the learning experience with children.
· Provoke ideas, problem solving, and conflict resolution.
· Take ideas from the children and return them for further exploration.
· Organize the classroom to be accessible and interesting to the children.
· Document children's progress: journals, videos, photos, portfolios, and memory books.
· Help children express their knowledge through representational work.
· Have a dialogue about their projects with families and other teachers.
· Foster the connection between home, school, and community.
· Include the collaboration of parents into the decisions and goals made for their children.